call us409-392-1511

Offices in Galveston and Hurst

Galveston County Post Divorce Modification Lawyer

League City post-divorce modification and enforcement lawyer

Galveston Post Divorce Modification Attorney Serving Galveston County

Getting through the divorce process can be very stressful, and in many cases, spouses are ready to move forward after ending their marriage and put this difficult experience behind them. However, the decisions made during a divorce may continue to affect the ex-spouses and their children for years to come, and when circumstances change, the orders that were originally put in place by a court may no longer properly address a family's situation. In some cases, changes that affect family members may lead an ex-spouse to pursue a modification of their divorce decree. In others, a person may need to take legal action to ensure that their ex-spouse will comply with their legal requirements. When returning to court to address legal issues after the completion of a divorce, it is important for a person to be represented by an attorney who has experience in these types of cases.

At Daniel R. Bacalis, P.C., we work with ex-spouses to determine the best ways to approach post-divorce issues that they encounter. If you believe that modifications to court orders should be made because of changes that have affected you, your ex-spouse, or your children, we can help you file the proper petitions, and we can provide representation in court hearings. We can also help you determine the best ways to enforce court orders and address non-compliance by your ex-spouse.

Modification of Custody and Support Orders

There are a variety of reasons why parents may wish to make changes to child custody. For example, a parent's work schedule or children's school schedules may change, and this may require adjustments to visitation schedules. If either parent plans to relocate to a new home, this may affect their ability to follow the terms of their child custody order, and changes to conservatorship or visitation may be necessary. When a parent requests a child custody modification, they will usually need to show that they, their ex-spouse, or their children have experienced "material and substantial" changes in their circumstances. A modification request will usually only be granted if a family court judge believes that the changes will be in the children's best interests.

Modifications to financial support orders may also be requested, and these must also be based on changes in the parties' circumstances. For example, a person may ask for a change in the amount of their child support payments because they have lost their job or experienced an illness or injury that has affected the amount of income they are able to earn. Modifications to spousal maintenance may be appropriate if either party has experienced significant changes in their income or expenses, or spousal support may be terminated if the recipient gets remarried or no longer requires financial support.

Post-Divorce Enforcement of Court Orders

When a divorce is finalized, a couple's divorce decree will be a legally-binding court order, and both parties will be required to abide by all terms that apply to them. If one party fails to do so, the other party may file a petition asking the court to enforce the terms of the divorce. These actions may be necessary in cases where a person has failed to pay child support or spousal support, and the court may take action to collect any amounts that are owed, along with interest. Enforcement of child custody orders may also be necessary in situations where one parent refuses to allow the other to see or communicate with a child or otherwise violates their requirements. If the court determines that a person has willfully violated a court order, it may choose to hold the offending party in contempt, which could result in a number of consequences, including fines, the suspension of a person's driver's license, or even jail time.

Contact Our Hitchcock Post-Divorce Enforcement Attorney

Even though you may not want to return to court after your divorce, doing so may be necessary to address certain types of legal issues. Our firm can advise you of your options for pursuing modifications or responding to modification requests by your ex-spouse. We can also address non-compliance by your ex-spouse and help you take action to enforce the court's orders when necessary. Contact our office today at 409-392-1511 to schedule a complimentary consultation. We assist with post-decree matters and other family law issues in Galveston County, Texas City, La Marque, League City, Brazoria County, Hitchcock, Galveston, and Dickinson.

Connect With Us

contact us

To learn more about our services or schedule a free consultation, call 409-392-1511 or fill out the form below:

Error! Form not found :(
Elite Lawyer badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top